Sunday, February 9, 2014

Canning Jar Lights: An Undersized Urbanite Update

It's time for another one of those moments where I love something for a real life design... but have no where to do it in my rental... so I transfer it to my dollhouse!

I love, love, LOVE the canning jar lights that have been seen all over Pinterest and Facebook.  Love them.  Seriously.  In like an obsessive way.

Image c/o covetliving.com

Image c/o houzz.com

So I puttered around my craft room, wondering if I had the things to make them....  and I did!  Hooray for those little nail decal jar things at Dollar Tree.  :)  Woooooooooo!

I also had a few packs of battery operated LED lights that I bought off of ebay.  This particular set was 4 lights for a 9volt battery.  Love them.  

So I pulled out three and opened a package of the nail decal thingies and dumped out the jars.  
                             

                             

                             
Then, it was time to prepare the rubber plug.  I used an exacto knife to cut a hole in the top big enough to feed the wires through and the bit of heat shrink tubing that was on them.  I will later on paint this all to look like metal and I didn't find a thing to attach them to-just rammed them up through the ceiling for right now.  What?  I work on a tight schedule thanks to kiddos.  :)
                             


Anyway, once the light was through, I wired it up to see if it worked right.

Success!! But, too blue.
Off to find Gallery Glass and paint.... 
Mixed them together a little bit and then dabbed the mixture on the LED.
Much better.  

Then make the other two and temporarily install them to take pictures.  :)

Next time you see these, they will look more like canning jars and maybe even have chains going up to the medallion on the ceiling.  The medallion I still have to make.... 

But for now, it's time to get my fix of Walkers and plan out the kitchen.  Eeeeeeeeeee!!!!

12 comments:

  1. Love those too on Pinterest! And love that you did it in mini! I will have to look for those nail decal things. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lyssa! These looks so Cool!!! What a great project! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work, they turned out very well!
    Kind regards, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D It's about time someone shrunk these to mini, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! I had the same idea, but never got to it. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great project :) I too love those lights but Rich isnt having it so like you I can have it in mini form :)

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute!! Great idea to make miniatures of the big ones!! Well done, they do look very nice!

    ReplyDelete

If the spam gets bad, I will turn the captcha back on! I hope I don't have to!