Saturday, December 18, 2010

Twain, Dickens and Sheen? Oh my!

Late last night, I finally finished the library that I was working on for James' dad for Christmas. I have to say, I quite love it! It is full of all sorts of personal items that make it that make it so special. I originally got the idea to make it when his dad gave me this big roll of red vinyl pleather. It instantly reminded me of those big, squishy, aged arm chairs that you see in a man cave or study. The kind that a stately man would sit in a puff away on a cigar or pipe. The idea to make him a library came flooding in and I could hardly wait to get home and sketch up the plans!

Everything that was chosen to be placed around the room was centered not only around things that this man likes, but to also compliment the chair.



The art on the wall reflects the delicate, refined taste that he has in art. There are several pieces similar to this one hung throughout his business establishment.

The map on the wall and the ones on the shelf are there because he has a deep passion for all things historical. The older, the better. I printed the maps off of Jim's site and roughed them up a bit. They have been curled, wrinkled, dirtied, sandpapered and burned in spots to give them age.





The movie poster (printed from allposter.com) is of his favorite movie, Groundhog Day.

Remember to click on all the pictures to see more detail!

You will always find a blanket in his chairs. Man constantly thinks he is cold!

On the laptop (also a printie from Jim's) is a screen-shot of his favorite computer game.





He loves old books, so I tried to make all the book printies, most of which have individual pages in them, out of the older looking leather bindings. A few are of newer books, because he reads those, too.

A poinsettia for Christmas cheer, along with candy canes on the other end.



















The TV features a scene from "Two and a Half Men," one of his favorite TV shows. There are boardgames below because he likes to pass the time with them. The Porche to the right is in tribute to his relationship with his son. While, on the top right shelf, there is a framed picture of his grandsons. They are so cute!

I am really excited to give this to him and to share it with you now. Nearly everything in here is hand made. Scavenged out of my drawer items include: the TV, clock, chest of drawers, coke, baubles and statues, the car. Everything else, down to the room, was made by my own two hands!

Hope you enjoyed looking at it! Happy holidays to you all if I don't post again before Christmas! :)

3 comments:

  1. Enhorabuena por esa preciosa escena tan personal, seguro que le encanta.
    Esta llena de fantasticos detalles.
    Feliz Navidad!!!
    besitos ascension

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh for some reason this post didn't update on my feed reader and I missed it when you posted! *shakes fists angrily at google*

    Anywho... I LOVE the library! Look at all the work and details! *DROOL* I hope your poppa in law loves it too! Its amazing the things you can do with printies!

    Hope you and your family had a lovely holiday.. and hope you will have a happy new year (just don't go too wild ;-))

    <3 Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today, I logged on and blogger said I wasn't following anyone. That was annoying!

    Ascension~ Gracias y Feliz Navidad para ti tambien. Feliz año nuevo lleno de miniaturas!

    Ann~
    Glad you like it! I love it, too. One of these days, I am going to do the library from Beauty and the Beast for my sister. I am excited about that project!

    There will be no wildness for us on NYE since we have no sitter... and no cable, so no ball drop. We will probably just watch a movie. :)

    ReplyDelete

If the spam gets bad, I will turn the captcha back on! I hope I don't have to!